My grandpa Fuqua is currently in the hospital. At the end of June he was diagnosed with colon cancer. They thought it would be an easy surgery and he would be in and out in a week or so. Nearly three weeks later he is still in the hospital. He has some infection in his intestine. We thought we were going to lose him this week, but he still has some fight left in him. I think the prayers of friends and family have helped him too. My grandmother has alzheimers. Granddad is her care-taker. I think that is part of what keeps him going...knowing that he needs to take care of his beloved wife of 66 years.
My dad's parents w
ere the ones who pushed us (the three grand children) to get an education. They were pretty vocal about it. My grandpa Pedigo passed away in March 2009. It devastated me. He lay down to take a nap and never woke up. I guess that was a blessing for him to pass so peacefully, but it didn't give me a chance to tell him goodbye. ]Grandma is tucked away in an independent living facility in northern Illinois. My grandparents were married nearly 68 years before his death, so she is a little bit lost! She lives close to my dad and his sister. They help her out quite a bit.
I correspond with my grandma by mail. She is the best penpal I have ever had! I have learned a great deal about her life and my grandpa's too.
It makes me sad to think that all of these wonderful people will leave my life before I am ready!
If you have grandparents, give them a call and tell them you love them...you never know when your last opportunity will arise!
No comments:
Post a Comment