03 December 2010

Chicken Sweet Potato Bake

Note: Whenever I find a new recipe, I always change it. I mean ALWAYS! Here is the original recipe:

Ingredients

* 1 large McIntosh apple - peeled, cored, and diced
* 2 sweet potatoes, peeled and cubed
* 1 small onion, sliced
* 1 teaspoon ground nutmeg
* 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
* 1 teaspoon ground ginger
* salt and pepper to taste
* 2 bone-in chicken breast halves

Directions

1. Preheat an oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C).
2. Stir the apple, sweet potatoes, onion, nutmeg, cinnamon, ginger, salt, and pepper together in a bowl. Pour into a baking dish and place the chicken breasts on top.
3. Bake in the preheated oven until the chicken is no longer pink at the bone and the juices run clear, 45 to 60 minutes. An instant-read thermometer inserted near the bone should read 165 degrees F (74 degrees C).


~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ I baked that stinking chicken for an hour (I even cut it into smaller pieces at first to save some cooking time.) It just didn't cook. The sweet potatoes were not cooked either. So I threw the chicken in a skillet and the potatoes/apples in the microwave for 15 minutes.

Spice changes: I didn't have ginger or nutmeg. I used cinnamon and brown sugar. Omitted the salt and pepper except on the chicken. Salt and cinnamon...not a good mix!

Shane LOVED the sweet potatoes and apples!

No comments: